Always Give Support

Roger - Wichita, Kansas

Always Give Support

I believe in supporting the troops, even if the war doesn’t deserve the support. I believe this because the involvement of my grandfather in Vietnam and my dad in the recent Iraq war. I know neither of these wars have been seen in a nice light to the point that thousands of people protested and are protesting. I have no problem with protesting the conflicts, however one thing that does upset me is the fact that the cause is lost by the actions many protesters use.

This is seen in Vietnam by the treatment of soldiers when they returned home to hatred and violence. What is worse is this hatred was directed to these traumatized soldiers who for the most part did not want to go there to begin with, and all they had to look forward to is their return home; however instead of cheers and praise for service like they should have received, just like they had in every war before. Instead there was anger and threats thrown at them. Which is just wrong, these people were off fighting for the right of freedom, such as freedom of speech which allows these protests. One thing that is positive is that the Vietnam protests are now seen as misplaced; it does not fix the problem though.

The problem still exists even today, such as when soldiers return from the current war in Iraq or Afghanistan. No matter how you look at these current wars, attacking the soldiers and there families are just wrong, especially the funerals of the soldiers that gave their lives.

The reason that I say this is simple: families. Few people realize that the soldiers are still human, and even more so are someone’s son, daughter, mother, or father. These people go to defend us. From experience I know that a parent leaving is the hardest thing for families to go though. I know this because my dad was over seas in 2004, my seventh grade year. I wish the protesters could see one thing: who ever it is coming home, alive or not, is someone’s family. A person that lives a year without hearing from them for weeks on end, and never knowing if they are alright, just like my family had to deal with. Many people say losing love is the hardest thing to endure, I think they are wrong. Having something taken from you, such as a father, for a year or more of your life is worse. In this time these parents can never go to their kid’s sports games, music concerts, or any activities during that year. They sacrifice a year of their life to protect what they value, and any protest aimed at the soldiers is too much.

Protest the war all you want, but support the soldiers because they are families and friends that sacrifice more than is imaginable.