Try Everything Once

Richard - Lexington, Kentucky

“As you grow older, you’ll find the only things you regret are the things you didn’t do” (Scott 9). This is what I believe. Too many people go through life without trying and exploring all that life has to offer. These people make ignorant assumptions about some of life’s offerings and therefore never actually discover what such experiences would actually be like. Life is too short to be overly selective about the foods we eat or the things we do. Instead, I suggest being open to all different things by giving everything at least one chance. A regretful life is a wasted life and there is no excuse for anyone to despair about things they have missed out on in life. Carpe Diem, seize the day, starting today and explore all of the wonderful things that life has to offer with an open mind.

This belief, when applied to my own life, has opened many new doors and has helped to make me the individual I have become. It can be used every day when choosing meals, meeting people, or partaking in other routine activities. For me, I find the foods I eat most affected by this belief, as there is an infinite variety of foods to choose from, many of which I have yet to try. As a child I was somewhat of a picky eater, choosing to stick to a select group of foods that I knew and appreciated. However, as I got older I began to realize how much this limited the foods I ate. I had a mental list of foods that I refused to eat, not because I had ever tried them and particularly did not like them but because they were outside the normal set of foods I was used to. It took the encouragement of trusted friends and family to get me to try new foods. One particular food I was always hesitant to eat was sushi. However, after my initial experience with it I decided it was not so bad after all. My problems with food and its solution laid the groundwork for this fundamental belief of my life which I soon found myself applying to many other aspects of life.

More importantly than food, I believe this idea can be applied to the sometimes frustrating process of meeting new people. Some people go through life with a select group of friends and never reach past this invisible barrier to find new friends. Being timid and shy can be legitimate hurdles to overcome when meeting people. I can relate to this first hand as I am admittedly shy in the presence of large groups of unknown people, often feeling intimidated and out of place. This has, at times, severely limited my ability to enjoy myself and meet new people. People like to find a comfortable niche in life and will sometimes close themselves off within it. This comfort zone was definitely tested when I began college and was forced to meet new people. It was hard to not shut myself off to just my high school friends, but I knew that I just had to try to meet others. Simply the act of talking and getting to know people allowed me to decide if I liked them or they liked me. Had I never done this I would probably be missing out on a lot of the college experience by failing to meet new and exciting people and continuing to hang around the same friends I have known for years.

The act of trying everything once and eliminating the close-minded attitude that holds back many people can only benefit a person by making them happier, more enjoyable, and more interesting to be around. By experiencing new and unique aspects of life people will be more accepting of other cultures and ideas, ever expanding the groups of people that they can know and connect with. Experience is the best form of learning and by trying as much as possible on a daily basis a person will become more intelligent and more appealing for other people to be around. I will be the first to admit this is much easier said than done and it can be very difficult for people to step out of their comfort zone and try new things but it gets easier with every try and a person only rewards themselves because of it.

Think about all that could be missed out on if that initial experience with something is never realized. Best friends, favorite foods, and personal talents would never be discovered without genuine efforts in some way to experience something new. It would be a mistake to regret not trying or experiencing things later in life, when the opportunity may no longer be present. To escape this terrible scenario people must try to experience as many new things as possible. One new experience every day would be a good goal. This will help people escape a future of regret and replace it with wisdom and happiness.

To anyone that finds it often difficult to try and experience new things and wants to expand and incorporate new aspects into their life, take my advice, tear down the wall that guards all of the amazing things life has hidden for so long. The first ten years of my life were spent dodging the new and conforming to the old, but I have changed for the better and believe I am much happier person because of this. Life is so much better when it is lived to its fullest by exploring as much as is physically possible every day. Life is too short not to love and enjoy all that it has to offer. Do not look back at life during old age and regret not experiencing something because this should not have to happen. The opportunity is there for the taking today to uncover the endless nuances of life that many will never be fortunate enough to find. People find new and exciting things in life daily that give them years of enjoyment and stay with them for a lifetime, leaving no reason why any of these opportunities should be ignored or pushed aside anymore. This is remarkably summarized by a simple quote, “Never be afraid to try something new, remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic” (Unknown 31).