i believe in the power of music

Lisa - gulfport, Mississippi

I believe in the power of music. Music is powerful, expressive and relatable. My obsession with music started when I was in the sixth grade, on the last day of school I walked in to find my father playing Alice Cooper School’s out he then started to tell me all about the band and I was hooked. After that every time my father would play music I would be right there listening, eager to see what was new and to hear the not so new. Growing up My father was the first person to really open my eyes to music not just alternative or pop, but jazz and blues too. He showed me a world full of emotion and creativity where you can be yourself. One time I was listening to a song on the radio, and every word the person was saying was exactly what was going on in my life, and every emotion the singer was conveying I felt it too. Music was always my escape growing up depending on my mood I would play whatever I needed to hear to help me with my day. Music took me to a world where my imagination could take over and I would daydream all day about my future, my past and present. I believe if everyone everywhere just took thirty minutes out of their day and sat back and just listened to their favorite type of music whether it be rock, rap, or blues and actually feel it I believe people would have a brighter day. My father said to me once music is the universal language it’s the one thing young or old everyone can find something they like. For me music is the one thing that will never go out of style it will change, but change in a good way it will always be different and it will always be personal. Music is here to stay and just like my father I will be sixty six still listening to my favorite album and hopefully inspiring my children to like it as much as I do.