Bathtub Meditation

Jordan - Massena, New York

I believe in taking bubble baths.

I believe that it is important to take time for myself every day. When I’m in the bathtub, I close the door, close the curtains, turn off the lights, and be alone to reflect on how bittersweet and strange and wonderful and heartbreaking life can be. This is where my thoughts are the clearest.

When I take a bath, the water must be very hot. So hot that I can barely stand to put my toe in it. I soak in the tub until the rapid thumping beats of my heart match the calm stillness of the water that I am submerged in. I feel as if all the dirt, the sweat, and the burdens of the day are being washed off of me. When I emerge from my bath, I am cleansed. I am pure. It’s my own personal religious experience.

When I was a child, my mother used to have a hard time getting me out of the bathtub. I would stay in there for at least an hour every night playing with toys, singing songs, and making up stories until my fingers would become wrinkly. Once, I created an elaborate love triangle between my Barbie, my rubber duck, and a blue plastic fish that squirted water whenever I squeezed it.

The memories I miss most from my childhood are the nights when I was in elementary school and I would get out of the bath, feeling warm and sleepy. My mother would dry me off with huge, fluffy towels and help me into my pajamas. Then she would tuck me into bed (too tightly) and read me a story.

Those are the times I have felt the safest and happiest. This was before I realized that life was messy and more complicated than my six year old self could imagine. It was before I realized that someday I would be forced to grow up and confront a dangerous and challenging world where it would be easy to lose myself and my beliefs

I am eighteen years old now and I still believe that baths are the best way to soothe an aching body and heart. In my life, I have often been my own worst enemy. But I am starting to realize that I am my own best friend too. I believe that it is important to take care of myself and to know myself. The bathtub is where I remember my happy childhood memories and I am reminded of who I am and who I want to be. This knowledge of myself gives me strength.

I believe that it is the little moments in life, like an hour spent in the bathtub each night, that help get us through the day, and help get us through life. In a complex world, the principle that guides my life is simple, and I wouldn’t have it any other way. I believe in bubble baths.