Love Through Prison

Alexander - Salt Lake City, Utah
Themes: forgiveness

Love Through Prison

I was twelve years old when my dad went to prison, it wasn’t the first time in my life he had gone, but it was the first time I actually understood what that meant. It meant I couldn’t see him anymore; no more fishing, no more talking about girls, no more seeing my own father. It was the first time I realized that my loving, teddy bear of a father, was not perfect. I was angry and bitter, I never wanted to speak to him again but soon I realized I wasn’t angry because of what he did, I knew he wasn’t a bad person. I was angry because I loved my dad and I needed him.

When people think of prison, they often times think only bad people can go there. I know this because this is how I used to think. But when my father was taken away from me for three years of my life, I realized that many times good people make bad decisions. These three years were the toughest years of my life. My sisters and I supported my dad and each other, but without him with us it was a very difficult experience. Through this experience I learned many things about myself, and about the world. I learned forgiveness, and how to love unconditionally.

When I saw my friends playing football with their dads, it hurt to know that I could be doing the same. I was missing out on so much, but slowly I began to recover. I knew that it wasn’t the end of the world and that soon enough my dad would be by my side. I began to forgive my dad, and forgive myself for having been so angry without reason. When I learned to forgive, I also learned that I loved my dad and the people around me even more.

When my dad got out of prison I was in ninth grade and we had both changed a lot. It was one of the happiest days of my life. I later found out, that what I learned, my dad also learned and we talked about things such as love. He once told me that love is infinite. There is no limit to how much love you can give and you don’t have to give it to certain people. You don’t have to choose which people you love more than others. He taught me that if I loved with all my heart I would be happy and that everyone makes mistakes.

I believe in love and forgiveness. I believe that you can overcome any hardships if you learn to forgive people’s mistakes and love them for who they truly are. My dad is the most loving person I know, and without him I wouldn’t be who I am today. He chose to do things that he could have lived without, but in doing so we both learned a lot.