Kha - Wichita, Kansas
Themes: setbacks

It took me a while but I have finally realized that I believe everything happens for a reason.

When I was about 10 years old, my mother was sent to the hospital because of a flare in her blood pressure. When I came into the hospital room, I saw her sleeping on the bed with machines hooked up to her arms and face. I believe it was one of the most terrifying sights I have seen at age ten; perhaps it still is.

Immediately, I ran up to her and stared at her face. Her peaceful face. At this point, everything seemed like a nightmare—I was in the middle of a never-ending nightmare. This could never happen to my mother. I became angry. The question “Why?” encircled my mind. Why would something like this ever happen to someone like my mom? And then I blamed God. I believed He was the only one capable of doing such a thing. And so I began to persuade God to make it stop. “If you can heal my mother,” I said, “I promise I will help around the house more often.”

After a few days, my mother recovered and was able to leave the hospital. Every time I think of the hospital, I know it’s the place that saved my mother but yet it conjures a grotesque image in my mind.

Another tragic event occurred about a week ago. This time, however, things were different.

My brother was working at the gas station one Saturday morning when a drunk came into the store and caused havoc upon the merchandise. My brother demanded that he leave the store. They yelled at each other and when my brother tried to kick him out, the drunk pulled out a knife and stabbed my brother.

He was rushed to emergency and treated by the doctors. When I heard the news, I felt that I was in a dream—but I knew that it was reality. As my brother was recovering, I realized that this happened for a reason. My brother was working at the gas station that morning so that he was given an opportunity to learn to control his anger. The drunk walked into the gas station that morning so that he can learn to take responsibility for his actions.

Everything clicked for me: There is always something positive that will come out from any situation.

Had I been ten years old at the time, I would not have understood this at all. As an adult, one needs to be able to cope with dilemmas and conflicts; we acquire this ability by maturing.

I believe that my mother and brother were hospitalized so that I can write this paper. I believe that I am writing this paper so that readers will gain new insights to human nature. I believe that everything happens for a reason.