I Believe in Music

Alicia - Wichita, Kansas

I believe in music. For most every person in this country they have heard music since they were born. The songs we heard had similar messages that directed us in our lives. Some called for change, acceptance of others and their values while others told stories of their own; like “The Christmas Shoes” which provides a story about a little boy wanting to buy his mother, who is dying, a pair of shoes which he doesn’t have enough money for. Some brought not so great messages but they all were about life.

Ever since the fifth grade I have learned about music from my experience in choir, band, and piano lessons. From these things I have learned different skills and lessons. Like in band and choir it is important to listen to others to create a blend and have a good balance. Without this blend and balance the ensemble would sound like nothing but a bunch of people making noise and nothing near music. In everyday life we encounter this lesson of listening to others and cooperating with others. Living in a diverse world this lesson plays a crucial role in our lives to accept others and their culture and to embrace this and allow them their rightful place in this world and maybe they will accept us. Breath support is another important thing in band and choir. It allows you to keep on pitch and increase or decrease the volume of playing/singing. Having a good breath support can make a persona great player or singer, allowing someone to get soft but still keep strong. Keeping steady and building in life while not letting go to what supports a person can keep someone going through life. Confidence, ambition and the drive to do something all fall under this category. In piano I’ve learned balance, but not with other instruments (obviously), but between the melody and the accompaniment. Giving the melody that something extra that turns it into music and letting the accompaniment follow right along. In life I have my priorities, the melodies of my life, while everything else falls in behind. Let one priority of less importance take over another and everything gets out of balance and the song is ruined. These key things in life add something special to just keep it going along a little smoother. Music has led me through life, at least since the fifth grade, into building a life that I learn things about how life works and how to survive among others.