Finding Good

Afsah - Manlius, New York
Themes: humanism

I believe that people are good. Good isn’t just when one person puts all their effort into improving the world. Good is he small things regular people do every day, even those as simple as complementing someone or smiling.

These days everything seems to be negative. You watch the news and all you see bad news: plummeting economy, people loosing their jobs, children starving in Africa, and war among other things. However, if you keep watching you hear the good news and this is the good that may seem rare but if you look just a little bit closer, you will be astounded by how much there really is.

There is a blind student at our school who obviously has to deal with many barriers in his everyday life. It is understood that it is hard for him to make his way through the hall and manage to get to his classes by himself which he does. Whenever I’m walking through the hall and see him I always notice that no matter how much of a hurry the person behind him is, or how crowded the hall is people always make an effort to clear the way for him and to make sure he can get to his destination as easily as possible.

This is an everyday example of what good means and how people are good that I see everyday. People take a few steps to the left or right to help someone else who they don’t even .It doesn’t really help them to do so, they do it anyway to make someone else’s life easier because if they were in that same position themselves, they would like to have the same treatment.

I think that empathy is a form of good. It is probably the most common form of it. I don’t actually think that people care about doing good to improve the world but they do so because they’ve either been in a situation where they would need the help of good people or they think about how hard it would be for them if they if they were in that kind of situation themselves and help.

This is just a simple example of a small high school but natural goodness can be viewed all over the world. A real life example of this is the tsunami that took place in Indonesia. Immediately after hearing this people sent their hard earned money to help people half way across the world to people they didn’t even know. The tsunami neither affected their lives, nor were there people begging for their help. People did this out of the natural goodness in their hearts. They felt how horrible it would be if they had lost everything in the same situation as people in Indonesia did. If people weren’t good none of this would have happened people would have just hear that a tsunami had devastated people in Indonesia and move on with their lives not even thinking about the hardships others were going through. Obviously that is not the case and this proves that people are good.

I believe people are good simply because I can see it in my life everyday. I think that good people are always going to be in the word. Though it may seem like there aren’t any good people; you have to look for the small actions that take place everyday to really realize the meaning of good and that it is there.