You Never Expect the Unexpected

Ashley - Spencer, Ohio
Themes: change

The boy scouts say “always be prepared.” I am not a boy scout (I’m not even a boy), nor have I ever followed this motto. It is a great idea and thought to always be prepared, but that’s what it is; just a thought and idea. Some would say it is merely impossible. I believe you never expect the unexpected. Although one can try to be prepared for every situation, it just is impossible.

Christmas 2006 went accordingly. Opened presents, went to grandparents for dinner, and came home. Next day, we went to the mall to use gift certificates we had received from distant family members, who don’t exactly know what to buy, so this is a good gift idea. The next afternoon, I went to my friend Sarah’s house. I didn’t see my mother, because she went to work at 2pm, and because of winter break, I slept in. That night, my grandmother called Sarah’s house. It was 12am. She was coming to get me. Why? I had no idea. No one would tell me what happened to my mom. It was “Dad’s job”. I get home, and my dad hugged me. I instantly knew what happened. Tears came from brothers that I had never seen cry. Tears came from my strong father. I would never see my mother again. I didn’t say goodbye to her, and the day coming home from the mall, we had fought. Why I didn’t cherish time spent with family, is beyond me, but a lesson I learned over time.

Never did I expect this, or I would have been more grateful. I would of loved hearing the same stories from her over and over. I would of loved getting her coffee-which I hated. I would of loved to help her on the computer. But the thing is, I didn’t. I didn’t realize anything could change in a heartbeat. The more I think about it, she listened to my day, she “served” me, and she helped me in anyway that she could. Why didn’t I do the same in return? I had time. I had time in my life to help her, but I was wrong. Time runs out. I didn’t ever expect this. I didn’t expect to never see her again. I didn’t expect to move on in life without her by my side. But that’s the thing; you can’t expect some things.

Compare life to driving. Some days, its smooth and wonderful. Everything goes your way. Sometimes, accidents happen. Something beyond our own control. We can’t choose how everything in our life goes, but we can choose how we guide ourselves after the experiences we are given. We all have a plan for our lives, but plans don’t exactly go accordingly. Things are thrown our way, or something that happens to someone else affects our plans. We should try to accommodate our lives to expect the unexpected.