Melissa - Manlius, New York

I have been told by many people to appreciate the little things in life. That you need to expect the unexpected, because life is just so unpredictable, and every day you will be thrown new opportunities. I believe that giving to other people around you can impact your community and maybe even reach out farther then you could imagine.

Throughout my life I have noticed that giving to others is probably one of the most important things to remember. I have learned that giving to others means offering your life in more ways then one. Not only is it helping with the physical things, but taking the time to listen and talk is just as important if not more. Just the other day I was at an El Salvador meeting where we were talking about going on the trip and how we can reach out to others, one girl said, “If not me, then who?” That one question stuck in my head.

I believe that if you sit there and wait for someone to make the first move, then you will be waiting all your life. There are not always answers that people agree with and you shouldn’t waste your time wishing for others to be the one to do what you believe is right. Everyone has different expectations on the way they want to live their life and sometimes your expectations don’t match with another’s.

Whether or not it is helping people with homework or if it’s going to another country to build wells all of it impacts others and lives can be changed. I know from experience that my proudest moments are when I’m helping someone out. When seeing the joy it gives to people it makes everything worth while. Giving and helping others is like a chain reaction; when you help others, it makes them want to help too.

Last summer I helped out at Vacation Bible School at my church, there I was in a room of about fifteen five year olds. I was there to help out with whatever was needed, play with the kids and help teach. However the little things that they did reached out to me and in exchange for playing and helping them, I learned from the way they just lived their lives. I found it so amazing that they had so much faith and that as long as you were nice and never stopped playing they showed unconditional love, not knowing really who I am or judging me.

I feel that even if you try to reach out and help others that in return you will be shown or taught something you may never have expected. When given the chance to help, the experience is always worth while. Even if the result isn’t life changing, in the end by giving your time and help people notice and appreciate what you are doing. The small things that you do to help people can really change lives.