Inner Garden

Miguel - Provo, Utah
Themes: Christianity

My father repeatedly mentioned the parable of the talents to me in my youth, telling me how one day I will have to account for the talents I have been given. This has often made me think of the importance we have in discovering our own talents, and at the same time, look for the good in others so as to help them in discovering and developing their talents as well. As I’ve grown out of adolescence I have learned to value in myself many talents, but what I value most is not what I can do, but what I can see; a vision, so to speak, a vision of the world, but also a vision of man in the world. It is that vision that has allowed me to create artwork and to perform music. Where does this vision come from? What is unique about it? The answer is given by a single word, the word “culture”, which in its linguistic roots means to cultivate. My parents are immigrants from Spain, and the European tradition is where my roots grow in. The love for beauty, not only as the essence of art, but also as the guiding principle in any activity, has been the foundation of my life. But the beauty that I see is not as the world sees it, but as my Father in Heaven sees, for He is the true source of my roots. That is my vision, to search for and bring out the beauty that is in everything, as our Creator does, and to overcome every difficulty in the process. And at the end, at the end of the road, with all our successes and failures, what we have left is just that: the vision of the world we cultivated ourselves in the inner garden of our souls. If there is anything of worth in me that is it: the way I cultivate flowers in this inner garden; and the flowers are my gift to the world, in gratitude for what I have been given.