choose hope

kevin - hillsboro, Oregon
Themes: hope

Sometimes things don’t work out like we planned, but I believe that with a lot of hope and love we can break any barrier and jump any obstacle that is set before us. Christopher Reeve said “once you choose hope anything is possible.”

When my brother was 17 he was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s lymphoma, a type of cancer. My mom and dad sent me and my siblings to Canada with my uncle until they knew what was really wrong. I was young and didn’t know what or how bad cancer was. Four years after my brother was done with chemo therapy he was diagnosed with the same exact thing again. From intense chemo he became very weak, had rashes, and severe acne. He threw up all the time, had terrible cold sores and bad diarrhea. No one, unless you have been through this type of treatment, can fathom the pain he was in.

We gave all our heart and emotion to him. I remember curling up in a ball and lying in the hospital bed with him and we watched movies (he loved company). I also remember we made a giant banner that my whole family signed and hung on our garage doors. When they let him come home from the hospital and he got out of the car he had tears streaming down his face like shooting stars and my mom had to help him (he was very weak), he didn’t run but limped fast and hugged us all. Some people give up on hope and love, but I believe if we have a good attitude and use hope and love in our life anything is really possible.

When my family first got our new dog Carly we noticed a loss of fur and red skin on her hind leg. We took her to a vet and he prescribed an expensive flea medicine. We took it home but the medicine didn’t work. After a week or so we took her back and the vet decided to actually look at her this time and thought she had something else but nothing they did worked. We were about to give up. The medicine was very expensive and hard to take care of. My mother was very sad, but again, with hope and a lot of prayer my grandmother helped out and said, “Try a different vet; I’ll give you some money. Try one more time and if it doesn’t work then, think about giving up.”We tried a different vet called Walnut Street Vet. They took a sample of my dog’s skin and put it under a microscope. They let me and my mom see. She obviously had mites; I could see them moving. They gave her medicine and she was fully recovered in a couple of weeks, it was great!

With my experiences, I have been taught to never give up on hope. “If you lose hope, martin Luther king Jr. Once said somehow you lose the vitality that keeps life moving, you lose that courage to be, that quality that helps you go on in spite of it all.” This is why I believe that with a lot of hope and love we can break any barrier and jump any obstacle that is set before us.