Everything Happens for a Reason

Carrie - Cunningham, Tennessee

When I was three I was living the life. I was the only child and the only grandchild. I was the center of attention and I loved it. One day in October that all came to an abrupt end, my brother Chas was born. This was the end of my life as I knew it. I thought that this was the worst mistake mom and dad had ever made. When he came home I asked, “Can we take him back?” He cried all the time and he even laid on my blanket. Somewhere along the way I found a way to forgive him for all of this. He became my best friend and the only one I could talk to.

I remember the day that my world fell apart for the first time. The time that my mom and dad sat me down and told me they were splitting up. I remember the three of us sitting on the couch crying. After my mom moved out, I was so lost. Chas and I went back and forth from mom’s house to dad’s house. I didn’t know who I was supposed to be with or who I was supposed to love more. I thought they were making the biggest mistakes of their lives.

My mom started dating Bill, who I hated at the time. He was taking my mom away from me. I had just gotten used to living in two different houses and now I have to get used to this man. I didn’t want to accept him, so I wasn’t going to accept him. I thought he was going to ruin my life for good. Instead, we became a family I gained a second dad and a sister. He is responsible for many of the blessings in my life. He has made it possible for me to pursue my dreams without financial stress. I have experienced a life that I would have never had the chance to if my mom had never married Bill.

When my sister was in college she meet this guy that she thought was the one. They had a rough patch and split up. Later she broke the news to us that she was pregnant. This was not exactly the news we wanted to hear, because she was in school and without a job. That summer she moved home and stayed until she was admitted into the hospital. She was in the hospital for a month before he was born. When he arrived he was amazing, he was the so fun. We would fight over him all the time. Now, my sister is happily married with a new baby girl.

I believe in mistakes and second chances. I believe that there is good in every bad, as well as bad in every good. I believe that some mistakes have a positive change in your life; you just have to give it time to see this. Most of all, I believe that everything happens for a reason.