I believe one is never too old to learn something new.

Mary - gulfport, Mississippi

I believe that one is never too old to learn something new. If there is a desire, there is nothing you can not do. The old saying, you can not teach old dog new tricks, does not apply to me. Although earlier this year, I may have been talked into believing there might be some truth in it.

After being out of college for 10 years or more I decided to go back. Being almost 60 was not a worry for me. I knew it could be done. Being so confident I took a condensed A&P Science course, this is a 2 semester course in one, and English Composition, along with Psychology. The first week was a wake up call to reality. Many years ago when I last attended college is not at all like college of today. The science course was like hyper space travel. The psychology course was very challenging too. But, when I walked into my first English Composition class, my mouth dropped to the floor. Staring at all those computers gave me a knot in my stomach. I was dropped into the unknown and I was Dorothy but not from Kansas. I can honestly say it was frightening and very intimidating. When the English Composition Instructor told us to open this, go to that, use this outline and write. Lost is not the word that describes what I felt. The intense feeling of not belonging was engulfing my entire sense of self.

My only life lines were daughter and a few other students. My daughter and I were in the same class, we thought it would be fun to take classes together as mother and daughter. That too is another tale to be told. Let’s say both positive and negative views were hailed our way at times