Living Life to the Fullest

Lauren - Cherry Hill, New Jersey

Waking up in the morning to a bright sun and a blue sky, even just waking up is a blessing in itself. I believe a lot people take for granted the fact that we can wake up in the morning. Being able to call my mom and dad to tell them i love them is a simple task most people let slip by. I believe living each day to the fullest without regrets is key to eternal happiness. My mother always told me to never go to sleep at night mad or angry at someone because tomorrow is never guaranteed. It was about two years ago when i came to Indiana University to visit my sister. My mom was in Ohio, while my dad was in Miami. My brother stayed at home at Rutgers University where he went to school. It was two days into my weekend and my sister and I had just spent a wonderful, exciting day skiing at Paoli Peaks. I slept the whole hour ride home. The next day was relaxing while i played with my sisters new puppy. I was not prepared for the phone call i was about to receive. It was my mom. She sounded very shaken up and worried. “This is one of the hardest things i’m ever going to have to tell you Lulu,” my mother said. I was very anxious and had somewhat of a feeling it was my brother. Very calmly my mom said, “It’s Toddy, he had an accident, and he isn’t coming back.” With utter disbelief and denial i dropped to the ground. My big brother Todd was one of the very few people i know who lived in every moment of everyday. He left this earth with no regrets. This is why i believe that i appreciate my life and the fact that i can still open my eyes to see the sun rise and set.