Nina - Long Beach, Mississippi

I believe in the power of writing. I also believe it should be more appreciated. Writing has the power to help me speak my mind without ever saying a word. I have also learned it has the power to heal. Through writing, I can show someone how much I care, express myself, and clear my mind.

Last year, my fiancé was deployed to Iraq. It never really hit me how dependent on technology I was until he boarded that plane. I couldn’t just pick up the phone and call him, nor could I send him and email and ask if he was okay. I just had to wait. One day, a letter came in the mail. I had never been so excited in my life over a couple of pieces of paper. He said they had made it in and were okay. After that, I made sure to have a letter in the mail almost every week. The written words were a great comfort to the both of us. By writing those letters, I was letting him know that I cared and that I supported him. It was a way for us to communicate our thoughts and love to each other, which kept our relationship strong. With the help of writing, I was able to stay in touch with someone far beyond the reaches of technology.

Another reason I value writing is because it helps me express myself. Whenever I get a thought going in my head, I like to write it out. It is a good way to get my ideas out and look over them. Sometimes they turn into poems, and sometimes they become long journal entries. Whatever the case may be, I am just happy to get my ideas out.

I write when I need to get stuff off of my mind. Sometimes I am too sad to talk. Sometimes I am too mad. I found out a long time ago that it is much better to write what is on my mind before I try to talk about it. When I’m ready to talk about it to someone, I am more calm and collected. This way, the person and I can get to the bottom of the problem faster and get through it.

I find writing to be very useful in my life. It has been a comfort during a long deployment. It has been my way of expression for the past few years. For me, writing has also proved to be the best method of therapy during difficult times. Overall, writing has been a great part of life.