Crazy? No, Improvement.

Devyn - aloha, Oregon
Themes: work

I believe in the value of hard work, if I didn’t I wouldn’t be where I am today. Since I was a child there hard work has been a re-occurring theme in my life. In my younger years all I wanted to do was to have fun and have someone else work do all the work, but my father quickly instilled the value of hard work into me. He made me weed the flower bed, mow the tundra we call a lawn and clean all of the grime off the dishes.

As I grew up I learned to value the hard work my dad pressed in me. As I got into high school and I had the opportunity to choose my path. I wanted to know how hard I could push my body before it gave up. My coach’s were more than happy to help me with my quest, especially in lacrosse. I fought all the way through 6 mile runs, sprints, push up’s and countless stairs, to the playoff game where I broke my wrist going 1 on 1 against a defender to get to the goal. Hard work (and a little bit of adrenaline) was the only thing that made me finish that game.

I use the value of hard work as a challenge. If someone say’s “there is no way you can do that,” I say “you’re on.” Consequently I have eaten a 4lb burger in one sitting, drank a whole bottle of Tabasco sauce, split a jumbo pizza with one of my friends and even drank a shake made out of various meat products. In a more secular manner, I have decided to take on the challenge of nuclear physics. Often times I am called crazy, but I like to call it improvement. Improvement (or hard work), whether it be mental, emotional, or physical, is always something I want to strive for.

Hard work always pushes me to be better than who I think I am. I have learned to believe in things that help me to use my hard working abilities. It has increased my belief in sports and the power they have to push you. I value friends that always tell you, “You can do better.” I enjoy stress reducing activities, such as paintballing, four-wheeling and fire jumping. I believe in running for fun and improvement. I believe in hard work for my expanding brain. I believe the hard work service provides. I believe in the benefits of hard work, not only to myself, but to others. I believe in the power of hard work.