I believe in metal

Joseph - Provo, Utah
Themes: nature, science

I believe in Metal. My belief in metal began when I was very young. As a child I believed that metal could not break, or bend. Metal was a symbol of ultimate strength, it was unchangeable and permanent. Beyond that, for me it was a symbol of good. Though I am now older, and understand more I still believe in metal. I am drawn to it, and consequently I work with it as a sculptor. If you have never seen the processing of metal you are missing out. There is just something about seeing it when it is being melted, glowing red, or perhaps just creating a smooth reflective surface. Feeling the heat that was required to melt the metal blasting in your face. Watching the metal in its fluid form being poured into molds. Even if that cant get you going think of all the things metal has done for you. It is in the structure of your house, it is in all your appliances, it is most of what your car is made of, and it is part of you! It is not always used for good. It has many faces. It has changed civilizations, it has made men rich, it has destroyed others, it breaks and it repairs. It is everywhere. But for me, though it may be used for many things, and though it is sometimes used irresponsibly, it is still a symbol of good. For me it is a form of communication. I do not still believe all I did as a child about metal, but I still believe it is good. For me, beyond all, it immortalizes moments in time; it captures—I hope—the attention and emotions of those who view my art. It is an outlet for creativity; if I can dream it I can make it, and it is people who love metal like me that make life better for you. I still believe it stands for permanence, and for good, and whether you like it or not, it is here to stay. So next time you see metal think of all it has done for you, because I am willing to bet that to a large extent it has shaped your life.