Superhero

Daniel - Provo, Utah

I believe in superheroes. I don’t mean by this that I think radioactive fungus will give me power over the animal kingdom, and I’m pretty sure I don’t want to get smothered in toxic waste. What I mean is I believe in their principle. We all have a responsibility to do good, by the powers that are given us. We just need to jeep our eyes open for opportunity.

One evening, I was in my apartment, with nothing to do. I picked up a collection of Captain America comics I had purchased some time ago. What happened in the comics, I don’t think matters. What is important is that I was surrounded by heroic images. I put the book down, and was going to eat something, when I heard something out the back window. It was a woman’s yell. I stopped in my tracks, and my inside knew I had to help her, now. It was the drive to rescue, some say it’s a guy thing. I turned and looked out the window, but couldn’t see anything. Another yell, I put my ear to the glass. Then nothing.

I don’t know if the yell was from a citizen in need, or someone angry with her roommate, or some kind of practical joker. But I know this: I regret not acting. I really regret not having the drive enough to go out and even see what was up. Captain America would have gone.

So now I try to keep my eyes and ears open. They may not be bionically enhanced, but I must do what I can to help those in need. So far, nothing spectacular. But that’s just it. I don’t have super strength, so I can’t handle super problems. But real super problems are relatively few. Mostly the world is full of normal problems, waiting to be solved by normal people. I believe in superheroes.