I Believe in Believing

John - Hollywood, California

I believe in believing. My beliefs paint a vivid picture of who I am and in turn create my life. I believe in chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. I believe in licking the bowl. I believe in kissing and holding hands. I believe in love at first site and soul mates. I believe in my children. I believe in the ocean, sunsets, physical fitness and movie popcorn. I believe in journal writing, naps and conspiracy theories. I believe in smiles, laughter, and second chances. I believe in recovery and our ability to heal. I believe in God. I believe I am a spiritual being in a physical body. I believe in strong coffee with cream no sugar. I believe in t-shirts and blue jeans. I believe in meditation and balance. I believe in friendship, open-mindedness and being of service.

My beliefs have not always been positive and uplifting. When it was suggested that I take a look, I found I had a lot of negative beliefs about myself, other people and the world in general. I believed that I didn’t measure up, that I was always going to be twenty pounds overweight and that I was never going to be successful. I believed women could not be trusted. I believed that cheating and lying were okay if you didn’t get caught. I believed that my problems were worse than your problems.

Along with the negative beliefs came others that were just as damaging – the things I did not believe in. I did not believe in God. I did not believe that I could be a writer. I did not believe that you should be doing whatever you were doing. These non-beliefs were beliefs too. I began to see how my beliefs were being created by the repetition of my thoughts and as a result of my experiences. With my new awareness and a deep desire to live a better life, my thoughts began to shift and my beliefs slowly started to change. As my beliefs changed, my life improved.

Like gravity, believing is a powerful force. Knowing that, I make a choice today to focus on the good in my life. When I focus on the good, I believe that it’s important to do what you love. I believe in quality over quantity. I believe in humility. I believe the secret ingredient in my girlfriend’s cooking is love. I believe the truth lies within us. I believe that the people in our lives are mirrors. I believe in breakfast for dinner. I believe I am a writer. I believe that mistakes can be turned into gold.