Living Every Moment

Emily - Lake Villa, Illinois
Themes: carpe diem

Living Every Moment

As I sit here in my room looking at old pictures, memories that have been concealed for some time reignite and come alive once again. I have always had a love for these pictures. They remind me of precious moments, both happy and sad, that I have encountered throughout my life. They allow those who are no longer in my life to be reborn as my mind replays the scene portrayed in each picture. But most of all, these pictures remind me of how quickly life can pass us by. And for this reason, I believe you should live every day as if it is your last.

It is said that life can pass us by within the blink of an eye, and this is true. You’re never really sure when your final day of existence will be, and for this reason, I believe you should treasure everyday. Now, I’m not encouraging everyone to party it up, or to seek your revenge while you still have the chance. What I am saying is that rather than dwelling on the little things that bring us down, we should feed off what makes us happy.

If you’re thinking a good thought about someone, tell them. For instance, if someone touched your life in some way, let them know. If you hold back, someday you may wish you would have shared those thoughts with that person.

I experience this feeling of regret as I look at an old picture of my grandfather and me. I remember his early morning telephone calls making sure I was awake for school. I used to call him every time I was ill because he was a retired doctor, so he would tell me if my sickness was deadly. Looking at this picture I can almost hear his voice as he called me to the living room to sit and watch TV with him. I remember when we found out he had cancer, and I remember the grief I felt after he passed away. I wish I had told him how greatly he impacted my life, and sometimes I even wish I would have hugged him more.

Looking at theses pictures, it feels as if some of these events happened just yesterday, when in reality they took place over a decade ago. I recognize the growth that I’ve experienced that has transformed me from the person I was then to the person I am today.

I believe you should greet each day with optimism and gratitude. Never take your life for granted, and love those who love you. Do not forget to cherish every moment and live each day as if it is your last.