What I Value

Dillon - Parsons, Kansas

The thing that I value the most is money. If you do not have money, you can not have the things that you need or want for example, a car, car insurance, roof over my head, CD’s, food, gas, etc. Money is something that I have never valued because I have always had my parents provide me everything that I have needed or wanted. They paid for my car, my car insurance, my clothes, my CD’s and everything else. My [parents would even pay for my dates when I went to the movies. I never really cared if my car was torn up, or whether my clothes got old and ripped because my parents would just buy me new ones. I didn’t value any of it because it was not my money that paid for it. I had a job, so I always took my money and blew it on other people. I always expected to have my family take care of me bull that stopped one day.

My dad left my family about six months ago. He was the one who made the money in the family. My mom barely makes over minimum wage and she could barely pay the bills. There were several months we had to go without television because she couldn’t pay it. With my dad being gone, I no longer got what I wanted. I had to start working longer hours and had to start taking my money to help our family survive. I had to start paying my own car payment, my own car insurance, mine and my brothers clothes and even had to put food on the table sometimes. I started driving my car more carefully, started buying the cheapest gas unlike before, and I even started buying the cheapest clothes. I never had realized how much money was valuable to me until this point because my family was always there to take care of me. We were doing good with me and my mom working together and providing for our family until the unexpected happened to me the other day.

About a week ago, I was informed by my corporate office that my employment was about to be ceased due to various reasons. Everyone was losing their jobs where I worked and I didn’t know what I was going to do along with everyone else because I was not going to have money to help out my family. I value money now more than I did when my dad left us because now is the time that we need it the most. Without my money, now I am probably going to have to let my car go back and let a lot of other things go as well. Money is very important and people should always value it, because it is money that lets us survive.