In order to live a full life we need to take some risks.

Lauren - Gurnee, Illinois

I always have lived my life on a tight line, never doing anything out of the ordinary and constantly trying to follow all the rules. Some may praise a person for living like this for 17 years of their life, but in order to live your life fully sometimes the rules have to be bent, which is why I believe that sometimes we need to break away from what is normal and what is right and take a little risk.

For 3 years of high school, out of my 8 closest girl friends I was known as the quiet shy one. They were all up for just about anything and would participate in activities such as TP-ing, which is an extremely common thing to do in high school. I would exclude myself from all of the things they would do that had some potential risk of getting caught. That is until my senior year. At the start of my second semester my parents told me they were going to a wedding for 3 days and asked if I would be alright on my own for those days. Of course I said yes, and my dad said “No parties!” I told all of my friends, and their reactions were surprisingly different then I had thought. To some up they all said the same thing; “Nice, to bad you’re not going to have a party”. shocked by their response, I told my friends that I would be having a small party.

None of them of course believed me but I did end up having the party, and everything went smoothly. I woke up the next day with no feelings of regret, everything turned out great and there was no way I was getting caught. A few of my friends came and helped me clean and put everything back in place, by the time my parents came home my house was in better shape then when they had left. My parents did a walk around and were not surprised at all my dad said “The place looks good Lauren, but we know you had a party.” I felt my insides drop. All I could say was, “How?” Apparently I had accidently turned the outside speakers on quite loudly and my neighbors who failed to reach me on the house phone called my dad’s cell phone and asked him why the outside stereo was on so loudly.

Thankfully ,my parents were not mad. In fact they were actually surprised that I actually had a party and were just grateful that I kept everything under control. Having the party broke me out of my shell. I know it is not okay to always break the rules, but sometimes everyone needs to do something a little risky.