Creating Greatness

Scott - Lake Villa, Illinois

Personal attitude towards a situation is often the greatest factor that affects the outcome. No matter how a situation plays out, your reaction to the events that have occurred will make the result unique to you. I believe that life is only as good as you make it.

My father is a very capable person. He is very intelligent, he gets along well with people, and he has a very strong work ethic. He is successful at anything he chooses to apply himself to. He would always be excited about spending his entire weekend donating his time to a non-profit organization, a baseball league in our community. When I was younger, I had no concept of work or what it meant to spend almost a third of your life working for someone else. As I got older, I had trouble understanding why someone would want to do more work after they got home from work. No matter how busy my dad was, he would always make time for the baseball league.

By the time I was 18, I was working fulltime. There was no chance of me donating any time at all to anyone. At this point in my life, I was sure that I would never give any of my time without getting something in return. However, I didn’t understand at this age that what you get in return for your efforts doesn’t always have to be a material item or object.

Years later, I began to become discontent with life. Working all day every day was draining, especially emotionally. I decided that I would take a few years off. I saved a bunch of money and put myself in a position to be financially stable without working.

With all this new found spare time on my hands, I had a feeling of total freedom. Every day was what I made of it, whether I sat idle all day, or went on vacation somewhere for as short or as long of a time as I wanted. I quickly found myself volunteering for the same baseball organization my dad had been with for so many years. This was not only a way for me to reconnect with my father but also a way for me to do something productive with my life, when I had almost no direction.

It wasn’t until then that I could comprehend how satisfying it is to do something for nothing. I can spend an entire day working for no wage; when I have completed my task the thanks that I get is worth more to me than money. Watching kids play baseball on a field that I created is a joy in itself. They have no concept of the work it took, or the time spent, or the hardships that were overcome, and that’s the way it should be. Kids should just be kids.

I have traveled a full circle from never understanding why people enjoy things that I don’t enjoy. Now I see that the reason people derive pleasure from something is because of the attitude they bring. Life is only as good as you make it.