Hero? Who Needs Superman?

Joshua - Troy, Ohio

I’ve always tried to find someone that I could look up to. The easy answer was a popular sports figure at that time, but they can get into trouble from time to time, so you never really knew what was going to happen with them. Telling people that your dad was your hero always seemed kind of cliché, so I tried to stay away from that one. Then at about age twelve I realized that my hero was my dad. He has been around me for now these 18 years and has helped to shape every decision that I have made. From school to sports every decision has in some way been influenced by my dad.

Now that I am in college, a hundred miles away from home, he is still influencing decisions that I make. He is the only one in my family that has a job, since my mom retired from teaching to raise me, so he is helping to fund my education. I do not want to let him down and lose out on this great opportunity.

He has also influenced the way that I now look at school. During high school did not study very much and was not the best student because of it. After seeing how hard it would be on my family with the extra expense of college to not worry about what different items that money is being spent on. Changing our lives has been hard, the adjustment for me being so far away from home, and my parents trying to not worry about money during these tough economic times. Going to college for me was about bettering my education and getting a good job, but after being up here I realized that it is also to make a good investment for my parents. Being responsible and not going something to jeopardize my opportunity.

I have realized that from the time that I was a little my parents have been teaching me about responsibility and now this is the time to be as responsible as I have ever been. And still every decision that I make is influenced by them even as a freshmen in college. I am now realizing that through hard work I am capable of more than I thought I ever was.

I believe that during tough times some good will come out; you just have to find it.