Alex - Santa Rosa, California
Themes: family, hope

Many people live for things they can grasp or see such as ideals or material objects or their careers. But I’m living for something that does not exist yet; I’m living for my future children. Every step I take in my life, every goal I accomplish is in pursuit of being able to raise my future children. Being able to provide for them how my father provided for me is the foundation for every major plan I make. I push myself as he pushed himself raising me, whether it is torturing myself on the treadmill to stay healthy or enduring the stress of education. My belief is that when a person has children, they should raise their children the best they can, being as selfless as needed. This is my philosophy and I feel is the sole purpose of my life.

Even when it was nearly impossible for my father to do so, struggling to make ends meet while caring for my sick mother, he still did. My mother suffered from clinical depression and was unable to fully care for my brother and I. My father sacrificed his career and finances to be able to stay home to care for our family. This is what I model myself after, placing my children before anything else.

What has impacted me most in my life involve people who have sacrificed for their children. A woman I have been close with worked two jobs to be able to afford to put her children into a private Montessori school. She does not live for her career, or for herself. She has dedicated her life to provide her children a happy and peaceful environment.

I saw this amazing woman working herself to the bone and remembered my father who has done the same, and realized this was what I wanted to do with my life. Everything I do at this point in my life is to prepare for later life. College, graduating with a business major, being successful in my career, all of this is to better my children’s future. I feel the classical American Dream is very much alive for me. I envision the white picket fence, the barefoot children playing in the yard, the smell of apple pie wafting out the windows. I smile knowing at this point in my life, I am doing everything I can to achieve that dream.