Self Determination

Alex - USA

I believe in the power of self determination. The power of never quitting no matter what the circumstances are. Heading into high school I had this vision of myself, a star football player, so I tried out for our football team as a freshman. I made it all the way threw tryouts and on the final day of tryouts I was cut. It was devastating, but I didn’t let it stop me. I trained the entire year and was able to make the team during the spring season. I didn’t play a lot in my first 2 years but I didn’t care I was living my dream but by the time my senior season came up I wanted to play more than ever. So I worked my ass off that entire off season and it paid off and I played in a lot of the games my senior year, I even started in a hand full of them, but sadly the season came to an end, and I had a feeling of incompleteness but thankfully another opportunity presented itself. It was rugby and man was it fun. I was a natural at it right from the beginning. My coach could tell I had potential. In my first game I started! I didn’t play that great but I still had a presence on the field. My second game was my breakout game. Early in the first half I broke 4 tackles and scored on 77 yard try (a try is rugby’s version of a touchdown in football) and threw out the game I was playing spectacular defense. I even intercepted a pass and ran it back for a try to “seal the deal” late in the match. After the match I was invited to come tryout for a Florida All Star team. Needless to say I was very excited and in the matches leading up to the tryout I continued my spectacular play. I made the team and we played against a college team from Whales, England. After the all-star game I was approached by my coach and the UCF rugby coach and he said he wanted me to come and practice with the team in the summer. After the tryout I stepped up my game in a new way, instead of focusing on the “flashy” play, I focused on my fundamentals and my defensive play. However on the last game of the season I suffered a left knee sprain and with it a severe ACL strain, and I was sidelined for 3 months. But thankfully my determination and my heart prevailed once again. I worked harder than I ever have in my life and this summer I made my return to the field for a faster version of rugby summer sevens and I played phenomenal and thankfully the UCF coach noticed too. I am now set to start practicing with the UCF rugby team.