Harness Energies of Love.. And Fly!

Corrina - Santa Cruz, California

Preface GRANDSON, GRANDMOTHER; celebrating 10 years…- I was just about to upload my photo album tribute to Freddie on the occasion of his 10th birthday and I saw the ‘album description’ option. I almost slid by but something pulled at me. Sometime later I was profoundly complete with my entry. I’m glad I did it. My camera-eye is inspired by what I love so that’s what I’m harnessing when I do it. This unexpected moment neatly tripped me into the bigger picture…

How was it going to work, being on two different continents and 6,000 miles apart? Well it did and it does. We find our way to each other like Mary Poppins, popping through sidewalk pictures, and we get to keep unfolding our stories together. Only we didn’t pop through sidewalk pictures; we flew.

Right now a major shift in consciousness has taken place in the mainstream with regard to climate change and global warming, precipitated by several factors including Al Gore’s movie ‘Inconvenient Truth’.

Add to this the shocking knowledge that planes have always been exempt from environmental legislation because airplanes could ‘never’ comply; everyone on the panels that mattered agreed. Airplane travel in this context is a climate crime.

Of course, this was not in our consciousness when we first began to fly; me, from a backward-looking family, at the grand old age of 27. Fred, like many of his peers, has been flying since before his 1st birthday, reflecting the lives we have evolved. So we’ve come to the reality of ‘carbon-offset tax’ while we figure out what the heck to do with the world we have fashioned.

Of all the voices out in the field I have been most consistently inspired by William McDonough, eco-architect extraordinaire www.mcdonough.com :

McDonough has said that the human spirit is not by nature conservationist. Like a blossom tree in Spring, we are wont to and WANT TO burst forth with the full expression of our life force, and there’s nothing wrong with that, just that we need to context it in the world we are an integral part of: if we are to survive and truly thrive we need to take our cues from nature and design from that blueprint. This is biomimicry as described by Janine Benyus in her book of that name.

So we are being compelled to take the driving force of our passions and prayers and great love for the world and one another and focus it with brilliant solution-oriented fantasizing and figuring for the wellbeing of all.

As a People, we have historically mobilized the most resources the fastest when threatened by a perceived aggressive ‘Other’ (bombs were fantasies once upon a time). Now the question is; how do we mobilize our ‘forces’/resources/inter-courses FULL THROTTLE, to bring into reality modes of transport that befit our new consciousness (planet earth seen from space; one world, one people, everything’s connected, anything is possible…). Yes! We want to fly. What would it take? What would it look like?

It would take, fundamentally, a new design, not driven by fear for our lives or fear of attack but ignited by the deep-seated knowledge that we have as a collective (Wisdom of Crowds) right now, the means to design and build models that mimic nature, that hum along WITH nature, in nature. Like the profoundly heartening story of the City of Curitiba in Brazil (that story of extraordinary political will for the public good was beautifully captured in the movie; A Convenient Truth, Urban Solutions from Curitiba, Brazil, 2007). The dissolution of outmoded infrastructure that no longer serves us could happen literally overnight as we mobilized.

The activation and application of our true-knowledge base applied to the untenable issues of the day could be the Grand Story of our time. Are you with me?

“Some day, after we have mastered the winds, the waves, the tides and gravity, we will harness… the energies of love. And then, for the second time in the history of the world, (we) will have discovered fire.” [from Teilhard De Chardin]