Dustin - Ocala, Florida

I believe in kindness. I have not born witness to kindness nearly as often as I would like to say that I have.

Kindness does not have to take the form of food, money or shelter… although for some it does. Kindness does not even have to

be seen, touched, or heard. Kindness takes many shapes and sizes and can be done by anyone, anywhere; whether it be the person

in the car next to you on an interstate slowing down to let you merge; or the habitat for humanity crew building a neighborhood

home. But if it is so easy why do we not see more of it?

I love the feeling I get when I get a chance to help someone whether I know that person or not. At some level I think

it is even more rewarding to help someone that I have never seen a day in my life and in all likely-hood will never see again;

because I know that, that person was not likely to be expecting or even hoping for help at that time. Hoping that the few

moments or small amount of effort I put forth into making that person’s day just a little bit better, will pay dividends in the

I believe that kindness is contagious. Whenever I am the recipient of any form of kindness I feel always feel a little

more calm, relaxed, and happy; more likely to help the next person I see as opposed to standing by idly watching them struggle

or sabotaging them because I am in a bad mood. I believe also that being thankful for kindness is also contagious. It is

curious that something as elementary as recognizing someone for opening a door or helping you pick up something that you

dropped, would have as profound an impact as it does.

In closing the idea of kindness is much akin to a movie I once watched, called Pay it Forward where characters would

give enormous gifts to complete strangers in hopes that they would “pay it forward” and help others in need. Real life is not

like the movies, a few enormous gifts are not going to change the world. But I believe that enough people simply being nice to

each other will make our world a much nicer place to live in.