Tangible Joy

Philip - Cadiz, Kentucky
Themes: love

To sing and dance on a stage is something real and tangible. To fly over the trees and through the sky in a helicopter is real and tangible. To feel the wind blow around our bodies is real and tangible. We as humans see joy in the big things that happen in our lives and sometimes the small things. But what if joy was something tangible and we could feel it, touch it, smell it and taste it? What would it be like? How would we know that it is joy that we are physically feeling throughout our senses?

Joy, in the literal sense, is the more or less the same thing as happiness. I grew up without joy in my life, without that feeling of belonging, without happiness and lived mostly in dread and fear. Most people never truly know what it means to be sad and unhappy, but I heard it, tasted it, smelled it and felt it in every imaginable way. That dread and sorrow led me through most of my teenage years, until I met the one person that could change all of that. She showed me what it meant to be happy and that living in emotional pain wasn’t normal.

With her, I feel joy, I can touch it, my nose can smell it, and by her kiss I can taste it. Joy is a basic need for all of us in order to survive properly in this unhappy world. Without the tangible circumstances that follow joy and surround it, we would suffer personally and therefore make those around us suffer as well.

I believe that finding that one true person and adding them to our lives and vice versa, should be a goal to every human, regardless of their monetary situations, their inability to find someone or keep that someone. I understand that it’s not easy for everyone to find their “soul mate.” I’m completely aware that I got lucky in my journey in life and found that perfect person that fulfills all my needs without hesitation and without dread. This I believe is a goal that we all need to fulfill. We all need to find that one person that completes us in all forms; that one person to make us happy and feel the joy that our bodies need to survive.

She, my wife, my soul mate, and my lover is real, tangible and feels me with joy. To feel her touch is real and tangible. To feel her breathe on my skin is real. To hear her voice echo in my ears is real. To have her and to hold her is real and tangible.