A Mother’s Joy

SIDNEY - GULFPORT, Mississippi
Themes: birth

A Mother’s Joy

March 31, 2008, exhausted after fifteen hours of labor, yet I was too excited to rest. I desired to hold Makayla in my arms. To view her gorgeous features and to gaze into her beautiful brown eyes repeatedly until the sun rose across the limited sky to see how precious she was. I had never seen her a day before this day. However, she was apart of me. She belonged to me, and I to her. What did I ever do to deserve such a precious gift? Her being in my presence gave me a feeling of joy. A feeling of joy only a mother could feel; of course, we all know that joy is a synonym for the word happy. Now, after becoming a mother, joy meant something more. After holding my daughter in my arms for the first time, joy meant more to me than just happiness. A mixture of love, appreciation, a blessing from god, and happiness was now the meaning of joy to me. A feeling of joy only a mother would know. As she has learned and grown, so has the joy I feel. The way her face lights up and she smiles when I enter a room she is in, this kind of joy brightens my day. The sweetest little kisses she gives for no reason, this kind of joy warms my soul. The way she laughs when something has tickled her, this kind of joy too tickles my soul. Wonders of what questions she may one day ask, prepares me for answers. Wonders of if she will make right or wrong choices in her future, prepares me to give unconditional love no matter the circumstances. Knowing that Makayla will idolize me motivates me to stay positive and to keep going no matter the obstacles I may encounter. Knowing that I am forever hers, and she is forever mines to protect, guide, and to love, this kind of joy gives me a feeling of purpose. I believe this kind of joy, is a mother’s joy.