The Power of Writing

Siera - Gas City, Indiana

I believe in the power of words. I believe that writing is a strength that you can use in times of weakness or accomplishment. Words are my personal outlet, they can be used to release unexpressed feelings and emotions. I can write my guilt, my excitement, my anger, or my pain. With a simple line of words, I can put myself onto a sheet of paper and use that paper later, or throw it away to never be read again. The power of what you can do with words is unending. My thoughts come out better when they come out through ink, very rarely can I say out loud what I am thinking. I don’t however always write my thoughts coherently, it depends on whom if anyone I want to understand their meaning. Sometimes I just want to get something out, I don’t necessarily want anyone to read it because I usually write my emotions amplified in order to get the most out of what I am thinking. When I need to remember something, I write, when I feel like I need to shatter a window with a baseball bat, I write, when I’m so hysterical that I can’t shed a tear, I write my tears on paper.

Every year, I buy a new sketchbook. The first thing I do with it is draw a new design to paint onto the cover of the book. I use a sketchbook for two reasons, one, I don’t like putting my thoughts into perfectly even lines, and two, I often have sketches and other things to add to my writing. It will usually take me a year to fill up my “book of life” with all of the events, happenings and philosophies I find along the way. Any time there’s something going on that is important for any reason, there will be a page or two scribbled into my book. If I need to write something and don’t have my book with me, I always have a plain notebook to write on, then later I will rip the sheet out, trim it, and tape it into my book. I don’t fill the pages in order, I just open the book up to a fresh page and write my mind onto it. I do however date everything I write.

My point is, I believe that writing can be used as a tool for many things. One of those things is pain relief. Another thing is a record of time and events for future reference or to share memories. Then of course there’s expression. The other is whatever you want it to be. You can’t always say what you mean, with that said, you can’t always write what you mean either, but you can find a way to express yourself with words in your own way that maybe only you can understand. That is what I do, and that is what I believe.