Little Notes help to make one’s day

xinyang - chattanooga, Tennessee

Inside my little bedroom I have an old box. Inside the box I have collected all the notes that I have received since freshman year. I have been doing that for years, not only because I realize how those notes have made me smile, but also I realize that I can cheer others up by giving out notes myself. I learned this lesson from an one-word note written by my worst enemy.

At the top of the box I have a wrinkled piece of paper with blue-ink script. It is from a friend of mine, who was once the most hated person in the world to me. When we were classmates we never ever had a nice conversation with each other. I hated the way she talked. I hated the way she looked at me. I hated that she won the first prize in an English contest while I won only the third. I thought I would hate her forever.

Likewise she hated me in every possible way. She gossiped everywhere to humiliate me about wining only the third prize. I got angry, and I swore to myself that I would never in my life forgive her. That time was pretty harsh. I had a lot of nice friends, but it is always annoying to have someone that you know who hates you the same way you hate her. At the beginning of the third semester I heard that she transferred to another school. I felt surprised, and strangely, guilty. She didn’t even say goodbye to us all. My last words to her might probably be something like: I hate you. I started to have the tendency to apologize, but I hesitated because I did not know whether I should go to her first. Since she was not in my school anymore I thought I might just let this go. One day while I was reading with my friends someone passed me a note. I opened it and saw only one capitalized word in blue ink on it—SORRY. I knew for sure that was her. I felt shocked and relieved. I wrote back in the same way, telling her that I am sorry and the only reason I hated her that much is because I was jealous.

Years have passed and I can still remember how released I felt from the anger and delighted I felt the moment I opened her note. Since then I kept every single note I received from my friends and I started to have the habit of giving out notes. Communication is always easier on paper when things are hard for people to speak out. It doesn’t take you too much time or energy to create a note, at the same time you avoid the embarrassment of speaking directly. I have been giving and receiving notes for years and as a benefactor I know how notes work to make people’s day. For this I believe, I feel truly happy of always having an idea of how to cheer others as well as myself up.