Power of Realization

Peter - Odessa, Florida

Everyone is always busy looking forward and to what they want to have. No one really stops in order to just appreciate and realize what they have in front of them. I should know. I used to be one of them. I was just a busy body that tried to find a way to retire early, still have a steady income, have a nice house, and do this all by the time I was forty-five. After all, that is what everyone hopes to do.

That was all until my English teacher in ninth grade asked us to make our own autobiography. I did not really think of it as a big deal; I just thought it would be an easy A that I needed because the fourth quarter was ending. I then went about my business and started to work on my autobiography. The first half of it was easy because I just asked my parents a bunch of questions and got them to tell me everything I needed. I then started working on my own. I got to when I was nine, when I remembered the bicycle accident that I got into; the one that left me unconscious for about three hours. The only thing that saved me from dieing was my helmet. Once I put two and two together. I realized that I should have been dead. I realized that I would not even be doing that project if it was not for my helmet. I realized that I was given a second chance at life.

Once this hit me, I continued to do my paper and look at all of the things that I should not have been around for. I became mad at myself for not fully appreciating all of the truly great times that I had with my family and friends. I learned that I should have been appreciating the good and bad times because I should not have had any. I should not have been around for my first communion, becoming a teenager, seeing the birth of my family’s next generation, and the death of my grandfather. I was supposed to be some little story on the news that the reporters would use to fill up a thirty second slot. I went on to finish my autobiography, and I did get an A on it.

After this I challenged myself daily. I tried to push myself above and beyond what was called for. I became closer with God, and I always made sure to realize what was right in front of me and appreciate it, good or bad. Ever since I handed in my autobiography I decided to live everyday as if it was my last. I wanted to make sure that if I had died at any given moment my biography would have a good ending to it. I lived everyday as if it was my last because my last day should have been August 8th, 2000.