to Celebrate

Som - PA, Pennsylvania
Themes: death

As I sang happy birthday at the top of my lungs, I found myself with the overwhelming need to celebrate. My niece and nephew had just turned one year old, and I was overcome with such a simple need.

I took this need home with me, and thought it strange, yet enchanting…this need “to celebrate”. And so I thought, as I sat up alone on a cold night with the stars above, why not celebrate?

Sometimes I think the stars gaze back at us. Though we long for their romance, I believe they long for our humanity, our ability to celebrate. It is my estimation that to celebrate is to embrace our humanity, whether those celebrations are small or large, our conviction and spirit, our essence, is in our ability to celebrate.

Life is hard. we work, we love, we sweat, we fight and we bond, all in the course of a minute or a lifetime. The chaos we ride everyday is no different than the chaos of that distant galaxy…but in my belief we are the blessED. We can choose to celebrate…our loves, our losses, our birthdays and quirks….we can choose to celebrate.

We can walk through life one tragedy after another, and yet continue this celebration. In a meeting a friend, in collecting ourselves in masses to cheer and mourn, in holding hands and making love, in arguing and fighting and war, we still celebrate.

Sure, our differences can be great and difficult to gulf. And yes, like those stars, it may take light years to feel completely seen.

But whether your subscription lies with Jesus, Krishna, Science, or Allah, it is of no consequence… in this universe or the next, there exists no collection of chemicals quite like you. Your experiences, your DNA, your awareness of yourself and of those around you are unique to humanity and the cosmos all the same. And for this, we, too, can celebrate…you exist, in all of existence, a unique set of eyes on which to view.

And in passing, when our remains return to the stars, our humanity will be celebrated…because, in all that we do, in the lives that we live, we choose to celebrate.