I Believe In Comedy

Shaun - Salt Lake City, Utah

I believe in comedy. I’ve never been serious, not once in my entire life, you can ask any of my relatives. Everything has always been, and always will be, a big joke to me. That’s why I’m so good at whatever I attempt to do, because I don’t take it, or its consequences, seriously. Everything I’ve ever done has been done with a smile and a few well-placed jokes.

I tell jokes all the time, and I have to admit they’re pretty funny. I can sometimes take things too far, because people don’t like things to be funny all the time, but I think that’s their problem. I think people actually need to loosen up and be funny more often. That’s just my opinion, though.

Sometimes, starting something that sounded funny and like a good idea, well, it turns out to be bad. My friend Johnnie, my brother Stephen, and I were at Johnnie’s house. I thought it sounded like fun to start a pinecone fight. About five minutes in, my brother pulled out a bunch of pinecones from his pocket, and I ran under Johnnie’s tree, which was a low spruce tree. A ran under it, thinking I could run the whole way through, but instead I hit a low tree branch with the top of my skull.

I gouged my head open. The worst part was, it was the beginning of summer, the very first day! I spent about 5 hours in the emergency room, getting my cleaned and getting staples. Now that I look back on that situation, it was hilarious. Every single doctor that I told my story to laughed, because I was their first patient to ever have to get staples by running into a low tree branch.

That’s not the only time my comedic self got into trouble. Whenever I used to get yelled at by my dad for getting into trouble, I would crack a joke in hopes that he would laugh and forget about my punishment. Fifty percent of the time, he laughed. Ninety-eight percent of the time, he would get mad at me for being funny while he’s trying to be serious and teach what I did wrong. Looking back, I realized just how much I used to piss him off.

Well, I still think I’d rather be funny all the time, instead of never being funny. I like comedy much, much more than seriousness. In fact, to this day I still make funny comments or jokes when my parents and teachers yell at me. Sometimes I get out of it. Most of the time, I kind of make it worse. That’s what I believe. If you’re more stern and serious, then I don’t think I’d like to hang out with you too much. I just like to be funny, and hang around loose, comedic people who appreciate my humor.