The Less You Have the More You Have

Rianna - Orlando, Florida
Themes: change

The Less You Have the More You Have

I left home when I was seventeen. I was desperate for a life change. I opted for graduating early and leaving the state of Florida where my mother and I had lived for the past six years. I went to my birthplace Nashville Tennessee. I had hoped that it was something my mother and I would do together. However, my mother had an attachment to this humid state. She would never leave. Packing all my possessions into my 1990 Honda Accord, I was off. I still had to finish out the semester before I could graduate so I was living with friends and family. They provided me with food and shelter. This is how I learned that the less you have the more you have.

One night I was at my friend Whitney’s house who had called her friend Brittney to come and do my hair free of charge. Before then I would have spent over two hundred dollars on a trip to the hairdresser. That night I was feeling extremely low. My little funds were dwindling to nothing. After only a few hours of meeting, Brittney touched my heart. After finishing my hair, Whitney, Brittney and I sat and talked about our life experiences. Brittney listened intently upon what I was saying and while I was coating my cheeks with hot tears, she reached her hand across the small table and placed it under my chin to lift it upwards so that my eyes would meet hers.

She then fiercely said, “Don’t let anyone put you down. Anyone. Do you hear me?”

In response, I nodded weakly. I doubt that she knows her words brought me through some tough times.

I remember her words because of the situation that led me to them. Even when I seemed to have nothing in this world, there was always someone willing to lend a helping hand or to give me a wise word. It took losing everything for me to realize that I gained more than I thought possible. The less you have the more you have. This, I truly believe.