Second Chances

Andrew - Batavia, Illinois

I believe that everyone should be able to get a second chance in life. Everyone makes a mistake in life and nobody is perfect. I have made many mistakes in my life. These mistakes range from my academics to my personal life situations. The greatest example of this in my life was when my grandfather passed away when I was in 6th grade. Him and I were best friends and I hung out with him on a daily basis when I was growing up. We went everywhere together and did almost everything together. He was the greatest pool player I knew and he made me become a great one today. My grandfather also taught me about friendship love and also the meaning of life.

However, he sadly passed away in the fall of 2001 in Arizona. My family and I visited him just before this happened. I remember going to the store with him and just watching t.v. with him as well. We had the greatest time together. Visiting the Grand Canyon was probably the best memory I have of my grandfather and I. When we stood beside of the canyon, he told me the history he knew of it and what it meant to him. He portrayed it as his life in a sense and how we should be thankful for what we have in life and should cherish every moment we have as well. That week after we left, we received a phone call. A phone call that I was destined to hear at some point in my life, but not at that moment. He was in the hospital and was not doing well. My mother went to see him instead of my whole family. This broke my heart at the time and still does today. I only got to see him again when we had his funeral.

Now I believe that this is why we need second chances in life. I want a second chance to go back in time and tell my mom about how much I wanted to see him while he was in the hospital. I wanted to see him before he left me. He taught me so many things and was always there for me. He is my best friend and still is today. After all of this, I was very stressed for some time. I went through the stages of anger, anxiety and everything else. But it also made me stronger in a sense. It made me stronger mentally and maybe even physically in some aspects. I know he is here today looking over me. Life is full of surprises and we should be prepared for what it has in store for us. We never know what is going to happen next. If you can take that second chance or give someone that second chance, it may be worthwhile in the end.