For The Love of Coffee

Jaime - Orlando, Florida

As ridiculous as it seems I can actually say the multi million-dollar industry of Starbucks has affected my life. Growing up my mother was a coffee fanatic, which made me becoming one as well. Trips to Starbucks were a daily occurrence, but I never could have imagined that one trip there would change everything I believed.

Now you have to understand I had always dreamed of attending the University of Florida when I graduated from high school. When decision day came, my dream was no more. Getting rejected from UF broke my heart and I felt as if dropping out of school was the easiest thing to do. All my hard work had gone to waste. Giving up seemed so much easier then staying in this game that we call life. In hopes of cheering me up my mother handed me ten dollars and told me to go get something that might brighten my day. This is why I believe in Starbucks.

I walked into the Starbucks teary eyed and ordered the largest Frappuccino they had. As I sat in the corner on the worn down couches I did something I had not done in a while, I watched. I became, what we call, a people watcher. I noted every person that walked through that door and with each person thought about his or her life. Each person was unique, but that didn’t matter. They were all brought together by one thing, the love of coffee.

One could say I had an epiphany. This little Starbucks made me realize that I was being selfish. Yeah I hadn’t gotten into my dream school, but that is not what life’s all about. Each person in that café had been through tough times and each person had to continue on with his or her daily routines. Everyone has times of weakness, and times when they want to give up, but they continue on not letting one set back ruin their future. How could I believe one admissions office had the right to control what I was to become. We all came in wanting our fix of coffee for the day and when we walk back out that door we walk back into the real world.

I walked out that day back into the reality that life wasn’t over yet. The experience of rejection lead me to understand the importance of ones personal strengths. Our society is lead by people who had the strength to overcome weakness, and I was going to be one of them. After that trip I stopped my cry, and considered my options. I decided I was going to attend the University of Central Florida, and I was going to excel. It just took me time to realize my personal strengths, and I did this by simply opening my eyes and looking at the world around me. It’s the small things in life, such as a large Starbucks ice coffee, that can make that moment even if its just for a second, seem like everything is just perfect.