New Kid On the Block

Anthony - Orlando, Florida
Themes: change

When I was younger I moved to Pennsylvania and was crushed at the thought of leaving my hometown of New York. I was so angry and shut everyone else out for the longest time. Because of how I had acted and where I lived it was tough at first to make friends. Living in a small town where everyone knew each other is a tough place to move to but I had to make the best of it. The development that I lived in was for the longest time the only place I hung out with because it was the only place that everyone was in the same boat because we were all new and weren’t already in a clique. It was my safe haven from the rest of the school for the longest time because I wasn’t being judged on where I was from or my past actions.

Eventually I started to come out of my shell and make more friends. As our development expanded we added more kids of different ages and backgrounds. I noticed that not everyone was the most socially graceful and needed some help making friends. I felt obligated to help these kids mostly because I saw a part of myself in them and I didn’t want them to go through the awkward phase that I went through. We became better and better friends as we became a unit, a social group for those that were not fortunate enough to already have one in school. I started to become an older brother that some lacked in the social department and tried to help in anyway to make life less awkward and more fun for them. It felt good that at the end of time in Pennsylvania I made a complete turn around and helped make a difference in some of my friend’s lives.

In my opinion everyone deserves a chance. Regardless of creed, gender, cleanliness, or “coolness” we’re all people and we all still feel the same emotions deep down. Even if you stop to talk to someone you notice doesn’t have many friends or is quiet because they are shy and lack self-confidence. Just a simple quick conversation can help boost a persons confidence and can make their day because they feel wanted. Sometimes a little attention is good and sometimes going out of your way to help someone else feel good about yourself makes you feel good about yourself.