Friendship is a Great gift

Stephen - biloxi/MS/39531, Mississippi

Throughout most of my childhood, I have always had trouble fitting in. I was the shy kid at school and was too afraid to open up to anyone. I remember a majority of my childhood being very alone. The loneliness I felt when I was a child is something that I never want to experience in my life again. My loneliness however, seemed to work to my advantage because I now understand the importance of friendship and all the great benefits that come with it. True friendship is more than just hanging out with a couple of people who share the same beliefs and hobbies, it is about knowing the fact that someone out there cares for me for who I am, and being there for me during the good and the bad times. During my late teenage years I began to open up a little more and began to talk to more people and quickly learned many different personality types. It was at that time when I met my true friends. They each had different personalities that made them unique to the other which I had found admirable. We all started out as acquaintances and it blossomed into a great friendship. When there were days when I was down and at my worse, they stood by my side and gave me the strength to stand tall and keep myself together. They are the greatest friends anyone could ever ask for and I wouldn’t replace them for anything in the world. During the years I have also opened up more and continued to make more friends. I was very friendly towards everyone and made a lot of friends and very few enemies. My best friends now tell me how much I have changed during the time that they have known me. I just chuckle and tell them I must be getting a new feeling of confidence, when actually it is because they have given me such joy and happiness in my life that I express it. Normally when I was a child, I tend to avoid human contact because I dreaded it, but now I embrace it. I enjoy face to face conversation with my friends. I believe that friendship is a gift and that it cannot be replaced for anything in the world. I look back at my life and see how much I have changed thanks to my best friends, and I just shake my head and laugh. I am no longer alone because I have my friends.