Balancing the Eggos

Samm - Irvington, New York

Though I don’t always abide by it, my philosophy of life is balance. This seed was first planted in my head after learning about Aristotle’s virtue ethics. Basically, take a few traits and hone them until they are perfect. For example, courage. Too much courage is foolhardiness, too little courage is cowardly. It’s all about finding the ideal medium. According to Aristotle, once this equilibrium is achieved so is eudemonia, a state of happiness or “human flourishing”.

I took this and applied it to life in general. And when you think about it, really think about, it is so true. You can find balance in everything and when this balance is disrupted, that’s when something needs to change. I used to use drugs very frequently. They took over my life, my scale was completely tipped in the direction of substance abuse. Then I went into rehab, wilderness, boarding school, and I was completely sober. Now something was missing. Since then I’ve learned to control my use, everything in moderation.

But this balance idea can be found in the little things too. I used to eat Eggo waffles every morning, every morning for breakfast before school. After awhile I couldn’t eat Eggos anymore, they had lost their flavor, their taste. I had overdone it with the Eggos. It’s the same thing if a song is overplayed on the radio, or if you play one video game for too long; they lose their meaning. .

I also believe in Karma. When you do good, good things happen to you. When you do bad, it comes right back at you. And you know you’re doing good when you feel a sense of pride, a happiness, not for a specific accomplishment, but for the way you are living in general. It’s a very agreeable feeling.

Even physics proves this theory. As Sir Isaac Newton himself discovered, everything has an equal and opposite reaction. If I read it in my physics textbook, it’s definitely true. You cannot deny science.

One more thing: friends, family, significant others. Love them and appreciate them to the fullest. I have found that though that’s the easiest way to get hurt, it’s also what makes life worth living.