The Way to Succeed

Jeffrey - Wichita, Kansas

I believe in never giving up.

I began to believe in never giving up when I started high school. I did not want to believe in this at all and I did not believe in it at all until my eyes were opened to the possibility that I can achieve the things in life that I want, I just need to pursue them and stick with it until I succeed or can go on any longer.

The ones who opened my eyes to this whole new reality were my parents.

In middle school my mentality of life was do as little as possible to succeed in life and it went on into my early years of high school as well, I did this to do as little as possible to get the rewards in life faster and with out working. The way I thought was influenced from the grades I got to the way that I acted. As the years progressed soon classes and life started to change, they both got a lot harder for me. With my mentality of doing as little as possible and things getting harder I thought I was not going to be able to handle it anymore. This shook my whole way of thinking but I still did not change the way I thought.

I wanted to give up, I wanted everything to stop and I wanted my life to go back to the way it was before things got tougher for me. I wanted the grades and the other rewards without working that hard for them.

High school then came next and that really was a blow to my stomach, and it hurt, I wanted to give up for good and go hide under a rock, with the IB program and its dreaded workload to extra-curricular activities, I run cross-country and track, and just enjoying life became very claustrophobic and I wanted it all to end.

That was until my parents and I had the most important and memorable talk I had ever experienced in my life. My mother said to me, “Quentin when you do or start something you must commit to it. You cannot start and then back down.” Then my father told me, “Think of this as a race, when you are at the starting line you have thoughts of walking away but when the gun goes off you go forward instead of back all the way to the finish line.”

This conversation that went on for what seemed like a day but lasted thirty minutes opened my eyes to what I have to do in life and I have to commit to school, my extra-curricular activities and having a fun time outside of all that and that I should never give up on anything in life no matter how tough it gets. This is what I believe.