Little Bits of Kindness

Alex - Orlando, Florida

I believe in the human potential, that is, that every person has the potential to change the world. Every human being can impact the world just by simply trying. A simple act of kindness is all it takes. They happen everywhere. It can be something as small as returning the blanket to the toddler that dropped it in the grocery store, or as seemingly insignificant waving a car through at the four way stop. It doesn’t have to be serious, or even productive, so long as it happens. It is the little things that I experience in my life that seem to help the most. My life is impacted most by the people I encounter.

My mood is brightened not because of the corporation selling tee- shirts to benefit aids research, but by the woman who compliments the polo I am wearing. It is the guy who pulls his car over to help the stranded motorist. It is the woman who gives a full bag of groceries to the homeless man on the corner. Or the stranger who hands me a napkin after the secret sauce oozes out of my Big Mac, onto my shirt. There was no apparent reason for his actions. I am not one for kind gestures on an extravagant scale, the ones that are made known to the masses. They always seem to have some sort of ulterior motive. The little seemingly random acts seem to be more pure, more selfless.

I receive as much joy from just seeing a random act of kindness upon someone else, then when one is enacted upon me. When I am walking down the street and see someone hustle to grab a door for a man with his arms full, it brightens my day as well as his. I feel that the same holds true even when it is not an interaction between two people. Like when a teenager picks up the trash that did not make it into the can, she does not do that for a reward, she just does it because it is right.

I feel that the power of these random acts of kindness comes directly from the fact that they are random. Produced on a whim, with no reason or rhyme, they just happen. No one tells them to do it; it is the goodness that every person possesses. I believe that it is these, the small often unnoticed acts, have the greatest potential to produce a global change.