I believe in a united world

julian - chattanooga, Tennessee

I come from Ecuador, a small country in South America, and now live in Tennessee. Throughout my life, I have been surrounded by poor people, and I have seen how special they are. Traveling around the world and coming from a third world country, I have begun to realize that many rich people don’t really care about the way poor people live and don’t even think about helping. I believe that the people with privileges should use those privileges to help people who need them.

South America and Africa make up most of the world’s poorest countries. When I traveled to Africa I was impressed by the way all the people seemed so happy and the way they loved to mingle and communicate with everybody. Their approach to life is very special. I believe that poor people deserve to be helped and to be given the same opportunities we all have or al least help them so that they can start a good life by their own.

Rich people have the best opportunities, best jobs, and best lives. They don’t seem to suffer as much as poor people. Rich people should be helping and trying to improve the lives of the people who never had an education, who don’t have a house, who have no money and each day suffer more and more. Instead of helping, most rich people don’t really care and just act selfish about it. We only care about how much money we make, how our jobs are going. That’s good, but we should also think about the rest of the world and try to improve it.

I know rich people can also be very special and kind as poor people and sometimes even more active and energetic.

There are some rich people who really use their income and their effort to help end poverty and problems all round the world, but I think the number of rich people who do that is very little.

For example, there is cooperative in Ecuador called “Vida para Quito” of which the owner is one of the richest people in South America. What this cooperative does is to use their money to construct shelter and homes for homeless people. They deliver and distribute food to places were people suffer and from starvation. I believe that all of us, especially the rich people should put our hearts in helping the community that surrounds most of the world and begin helping and contributing towards society in a good way.

I would like to conclude with a quote said by Dalai Lama “I truly believe that individuals can make a difference in society. Since periods of change such as the present one come so rarely in human history, it is up to each of us to make the best use of our time to help create a happier world.” That quote basically explains all I said before. We all should get our heads straight and start imagining a perfect society and begin trying to create it. I believe the first step is to stop the problems and conflicts that are the product of hatred and reconnect the world to become a whole.