Brenda - Hopkinsville, Kentucky

I Believe in Self-fulfilling Prophecy

I had never heard the terminology of self-fulfilling prophecy until my second semester of college. In my sociology class I had to do a paper on this subject. I was truly shocked to know that it was alive and well working within my own life. I had been trying to get my 21 year old daughter to enroll in college. She could not see the importance of furthering her education. I saw a need for change in my own life as well, so I enrolled at Hopkinsville Community College in the spring of’ 08. I began my classes, all the while telling my daughter about the excitement of going back to school. I encouraged her all the while I was attending class. Letting her know that she could do whatever she set her mind to. After about a year at a dead end job, Ashley began to see the importance of getting more education. I kept believing that somehow she would see the change in my attitude about the future and get excited about hers. Well, finally it happened. She asked me one day what she needed to do to enroll in some classes. Yes! Finally she had realized what I had been trying to tell her all along. She is now enrolled to start the spring semester at HCC. Not only did the positive attitude affect my oldest daughter, my youngest daughter is enrolling as well. Self-fulfilling prophecy…I’m definitely a believer.