Election time

Joshua - DeLand, Florida

During every election process I, as an American citizen, ask myself what do I believe in. Not necessarily what my personal beliefs are, but which presidential candidate I believe can do the best job in running the country. I ask myself which one will make the right decision when he is called upon. Which candidate truly believes what he says when on national television? Which candidate looks at global topics the same way I do? After asking myself theses questions I was able to make my decision of who I believed in.

By this time we all know that Barack Obama will be our next president and the first African American to hold this office in the United States. After talking to some of my family members it became clear to me that they were truly disappointed and scared of the outcome of the elections. After talking with them I began to think about how I felt about the next president.

As I began to think about the election results and what it meant for me I thought; even more than I believed that John Mcain could lead us in a way that senator Obama couldn’t, I believe in America. I might not believe in what presidential elect Barack Obama is going to do for this country, but I believe in America and its unwillingness to let itself fail.

We are a country that has literally had to fight for everything we have, stand for and believe in. We fought the Revolutionary War because we believed in our freedom. We fought for our land because we believed in our new world. We fought our way through the Great Depression because we believed in our way of life. We fought our very own brothers because we believed that it didn’t matter what color our skin was. America has gone through many battles within itself and always pulled through. Even our own citizens join the Army, Marines, Air Force, Navy and so on because they believe in what our country stands for.

One of the more recent battles we have faced came from an outside force. When the World Trade Center went down and our world as we knew it was over, we all stood in belief that our country would overcome this terrible travesty. I personally believed that we would make this right; that some how we would pull through this horrific event on top just as we always have.

As I took a step back and began to think about what America has been through and where we come from, it becomes clear that no matter who is running our country or what events may or may not happen during his tenure as president, America stands for something and no one person will be able to break it.