the woods

Daniel - selma, Indiana
Themes: nature

Natural Beauty is a hard thing to find these days. I have found it though. I believe that inside a woods or forest is the most natural place I can be. I am a bow hunter and wildlife photographer, but most importantly I am a Christian. I can see the true works of God when I am in the woods. In my mind, there is nothing that can compare to the beauty of the sun rising and shining through the trees on a cold crisp morning. Ask any true hunter and he will tell you that it is not about the trophy that is taken but it is more about the experience that takes place. Most of my best hunts are when I am with my dad, and we can relax and enjoy life. My father taught me this way of life, and I plan to pass it on. We share the same passion for this, and it allows us to grow closer. I am truly blessed to have this opportunity, and I am extremely thankful for it.

Even when deer season is not in, there are times when I will go sit in my tree-stand just to relax. I personally do not believe that there is anywhere more relaxing than in the woods. The tree-stand is more than a place for me to just hunt and film wildlife, I use it as a place to pray. I enjoy watching all of the little critters that happen to pass by me and listen to the birds chirping. There is an unbelievable adrenaline rush that passes through my body when a deer walks by and doesn’t know I am there watching him. My body begins to shake, and I can feel my heart racing. It truly is the ultimate high. I find it as one of the only times I can sit and think about all of my thoughts without any distractions. I can empty my mind of all of the homework I have due for class, I can forget about all of the stress I have at work and I can just stop and enjoy the works of God.

I believe that we all need a place like this. Every person’s place is going to be different; one might find complete relaxation on a boat or in a car. I found mine in a tree.