I believe in the countryside

Ken - Northfield, Minnesota
Themes: community, place

I grew up in a medium sized city in China. But when I talk to my friends about my personal adventures, I usually mention about the time I spent in the countryside. I have three reasons to believe that the countryside is better than the city:

First, the human interactions are more friendly and frequent than in the cities. Few people lock their doors at night, and people knew each other in the small village. The friendliness creates a perfect community atmosphere. I befriended with many people in the village. Although I have not communicated with them for a while, I can still remember the time when I and several other friends enjoy sweet corn next to the shore. I usually play with my friends until midnight. Unfortunately, although many people in the city are friendly, but this type of interaction does not exist in the city. This interaction between me and my friends is most important to my happiness.

Second, the people in villages are usually more generous and kind compares to the people in city. I can still remember when a group of travelers were lost on the road. It was a rainy day and the road is in a terrible condition. They were desperate to find a place to spend the night. The villagers received them with kindness and offered them a place to stay overnight. And the next morning, the villagers led the group to the major town in the area. It is hard to imagine similar things can be happening in the city, it does not seem to me that city people would open their doors for strangers. I would love to live in an atmosphere which people are generous and able to tolerate other people.

Finally, there are more fun activities in the countryside than in the city. I know when I bring out this argument, some people would laugh at me. They consider TV shows, concerts and coffee shop to be fun activities. But for me, activities mean something that you work it on your own, experience it on your own, and do it on your own. Activities is not something you sit there and wait and enjoy others perform, it’s something that you do that entertains or enjoys it yourself. I had fun in the countryside looking for crabs on the bay, I had fun when the winter came, startes fishing on the frozen shore. I had fun when I sat on my uncle’s wooden cargo ship and sailed to the island. In the city, I do not have this freedom to do whatever I wish.

Therefore, I believe the living in the countryside is better than living in the city.