I Believe in Flipping Pennies

Lori - Seattle, Washington

I believe in flipping pennies. When I was little, I would curiously watch my Oma each time she received change after making a purchase. Whenever we would leave a store, she would take each of the pennies and place them heads-up along the sidewalk as we walked back toward her apartment. One day I became very curious at my Oma’s behavior and decided to ask her about why she would leave her pennies on the side walk. Her response struck me, she said that finding a penny heads up is good luck, and she likes to give people good luck. After this event, I too began placing my pennies on the sidewalk

I have no clue if anyone will even find the pennies I have left behind, but flipping pennies has taught me how little it takes to brighten someone’s day. Small acts of selfless kindness can cheer up the gloomiest day. I believe in brightening a stranger’s day. So many people struggle with the everyday occurrences in life, not knowing how much they mean to someone.

One morning I went to get coffee with a friend, and as I was getting my coffee, a man walked in, looking as though he was having a rough morning. I placed my pennies on the sidewalk outside the coffee shop without thinking. As I got in my car and began to drive away, I passed the place where I had placed my pennies and saw the man smile as he picked up the penny I had placed. I do not know if my penny changed the man’s day, but I know, if only for a moment, it put a smile on his face.

At times, every person may forget how unique and special they are to those in around them. It is at these times that the must be reminded. Simple acts, such as leaving some good luck for a stranger to find, are easy ways to remind strangers of their worth, and brighten what may be a dreary day. Flipping pennies, is a constant reminder that simple acts of kindness can remind a person of their worth.